Skip to main content

Pizza In My Tummy Makes Me Happy

Last night, I made homemade pizza from scratch... from the crust on up. The only thing I used that was purchased and used as-is was the turkey pepperoni.  Okay, I didn't make the cheese (yet) but I did grate it!  LOL  Freshly grated mozzarella is so much nicer than the preshredded stuff...I had no idea what a difference it would actually make!  (I do have more to say about preshredded cheese but I will keep that to myself. :)  If you are really curious, just do a search on Google about preshredded cheese.)

Here are my 'zas:

For both, I made yeast-free pizza crust.  It was a little bitter but I've since figured out that it was because my flour is old.  The one on the left has my homemade pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni and cheese.  The one on the right has homemade BBQ sauce, leftover roasted chicken from Sunday, onions, and cheese.

Here are the recipes I used for the sauces and crust:


Sashi's Pizza Sauce

Ingredients
  • 12 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 29 oz can tomato sauce
  • 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 14.5 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with garlic
  • 2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp dried oregano
  • 1 Tbsp dried basil
  • 1 Tbsp dried parsley
  • 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Directions

In a large saucepan, saute garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until sauce reaches desired thickness. The longer you cook it, the thicker it will get.

Sauce may be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks or frozen for a month. Thaw for a day or 2 before use. Yield: 5 cups


  
Sashi's BBQ Sauce
(adapted from this recipe*)

Ingredients
  • 28oz can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1/2 c balsamic vinegar
  • 1/3 c blue agave (or brown sugar)
  • 1/4 c Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp onion powder
  • 1 Tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
  • 1/2 tsp mustard powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
Directions

In a medium saucepan, whisk it all together and heat on med-high until it boils, stirring frequently.  Lower to med-low and let simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Then bottle and store in your fridge.

*Her recipe called for a couple dashes of liquid smoke.  I can't have nitrites so I had to keep it out of mine.  It would probably taste amazing, though!



Yeast Free Pizza Crust
(I adapted this slightly this from easypizzacrusts.com)

Ingredients
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2/3 cup water (more if needed)
  • 1 Tbsp cooking oil
Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare pizza pan by spraying with non-stick cooking spray. Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add liquids and mix with hands to incorporate dry ingredients. Add more water, a tablespoon at a time, until it is well mixed and doughy.  It should not stick to your hands.  Knead dough by hand 6-8 times inside the bowl. Pressed by hand on the prepared pizza pan until it is the desired thickness.  (Alternatively, you could roll out on a floured surface first then move it to the pizza pan but I am lazy.  LOL)   Add favorite sauce and toppings. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes, depending on crust thickness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Apron

Still alive and still cooking A LOT!  The food blog has really taken off which isn't leaving much room for much else.  I really need to get crafty some time soon. But, I did recently find some time to design myself a brand new apron! Here's a more detailed image of my design: At least I am finding ways to combine my 2 passions! :)

Digital Age and Sausage

Wow... 2014 already!  The last of 2013 went by pretty quickly, but I don't know that I have a super lot to show for it. Well, that's not entirely true.  I've been pretty busy with the new site .  I've been having so much fun cooking and I think my photography skills are definitely improving when it comes to that part of the blogging.  I have been doing some creative things as well, though, especially over the last couple of weeks.  I received some money for the holidays and decided to invest in myself by getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (the original, not the new model) for the sole purpose of drawing.  I know, I know, it's completely wasting the bells and whistles of the technology, but I did some research and decided it was the best yet economical choice for what I want to do.  And, so far, I am not disappointed. I upgraded my S Pen and it really feels like I am drawing "the old fashioned way."  Even when I sketch out my design first, it looks and

New website!

You may remember that last month, I was trying to decide what I wanted to do blog-wise .  I finally decided that since my passion right now is food, cooking, and nutrition... I should concentrate on that.  And I think that is definitely the right decision for me. But... I don't think that is the right thing for Funky, Punky, & Plump.  So I am going to save this little corner of the blogworld as my place to post about pretty much everything other than food.  When my art, craft, or sewing bug hits, this is where I'll talk about it. Get Off The Couch and Cook is where I will be focusing on easy recipes that use real food, nothing processed.  I've already got it set up if you want to go check it out.  I've been kind of obsessed with it so even though there are only a handful of posts currently, there are quite a few more already scheduled. :) I feel good knowing what direction I am supposed to be going in.  I'm even sleeping better at night now even thou