Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Every Rose Has Its Skull

I've been making stuff... I swear! I just need to take pictures of everything. :) This was a recent project that I happened to be wearing to work today so I was able to get some okay pics in the restroom.

It was so unbelievably simple, I feel almost feel guilty. Almost. Well, almost almost. Okay, not really.

The top part of the skirt is actually the leftover bottom from a black jersey skirt I cut up to make another skirt (that I still need to gets photographs of). Because I have a lot of junk in the back of my wagon, most skirts tend to be longer in the front than the back so I usually make my skirts about 3" longer in the back. I had cut that basic shape off the top of the waist band of this jersey skirt for the other project so I just flipped the bottom part upside down and turned it around so the hem would act as the waistband and the cut side would fall into the right shape.

I made a small snip inside the skirt in the hem and used the existing hem as the casing tube for the elastic waist.

The skull and roses fabric was from my stash and I had just enough to create a big tube that I gathered and sewed to the bottom after adding a 1" hem. I often don't waste time measuring things so I really lucked out that all the pieces were exactly the right length.

Here are a couple more pics showing the skirt a bit more close up:

Overall, I am really happy with the way this has turned out. In fact today is the 2nd time I've worn it since making it 10 days ago. :)