Monday, May 17, 2010

Skullified Shoes

I don't know why but black shoes with white soles have always bugged me which is why I am not sure why I bought a pair of black fake-Vans for about $10. (Do people really pay over $40 for a pair of black slip-on sneakers just for the name?) I finally decided I needed to do something with them, though, so used a regular white paint pen and skullied these up into something I actually will wear. :)

I just free-handed my design so they are not exactly the same. I like the effect, though, because it shows that these are not a store-bought design.

Top

Top detail


Inside part of shoe

Outside part of shoe


Back

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dia de Los Muertos Sundress

Because, you know, nothing says "sunshine" like celebrating the dead. :) I made this sundress from scratch without a pattern and actually pretty pleased with the way it turned it out. (And look at how long my hair is! I am getting it cut and colored tonight, thank goodness!)

For the bottom, I sewed 2 panels together at 44" long at and did a double-fold 1" hem. I just used the width of the fabric since I am a big girl and the dimensions are perfect to be loose around my caboose.

For the top, I cut a piece that was 10" long and the width of the fabric. This was my first attempt at shirring/smocking and I was surprised at how easy it actually was! The "toughest" part was winding the bobbins with elastic thread and that was really just time consuming. When I was finished hemming the top of the panel and did the shirring, the panel was 9" long x 26" wide. The back panel is just solid and is 9" x 22". I sewed a couple of straps on the top to roughly cover my bra straps. I am sure that some will notice that the lines in my shirring are not even but I actually did this on purpose since I like the look of a few lines that are closer together mixed throughout the smocking.

I rarely bare my upper arms in public so made the black shrug out of an old black t-shirt by cutting it off just above my natural waist line. I cut about halfway up the center and then cut an upside-down teardrop shape to open the neckline and remove the collar. I put it on and just tied the 2 corners together.

In the top picture, you can see the black patch pocket I added. I used a piece of the t-shirt I had left over from making the shrug but forgot that I tend to carry a lot in my pockets so need to replace it with a pocket that doesn't stretch.

Again, I do have other projects that I have made since the last post but really need to get pictures of them. I happened to wear this to work today so took pictures of it here. This is another of those items I've made that makes me feel girly. :)