Skip to main content

DIY Wednesday: Rockin' the 'hawk... hat-style

About 3 years ago, I was having an uber-bad day at work so decided to have a little hair therapy to lift my spirits. Plus, as you can see in this old picture, I seriously needed a new hairstyle.

This was me 10 years ago :)

A friend of mine recommended an awesome salon in the area so I made an appointment for after work. The stylist's name was CC and he was awesome! I sat in his chair with my mousy long hair and said "I want you to do whatever you think will look on me. I want something artsy, something fun, something funky and I don't care about length as long as it can still be grabbed at the crown." :D Without batting an eyelash, he said, "We can do that!" He ended up giving me a version of a bob but the back of my head was shaved about halfway up.

My hairstyle has changed a bit since then but I still get the back of my head shaved. I *LOVE* it! After I get my hair cut, I will sit at work and just pet the back of my head. (*grin*) I can't imagine ever going back to having my hair sticking to back of my neck and everything else on these hot Atlanta days. Blech.

Sadly, I doubt I'll ever go to the extreme of getting a mohawk, though. Partly because of my day job but mostly because I look better with hair around my face. Trust me... I do.

HOWEVER

When I happened across project 72 in Megan Nicolay's "Generation T Beyond Fashion," I knew I had to give this a try!


I think it turned out really cute but it came out a bit too small for me which is entirely my own fault. Rather than measuring my head and drawing out the pattern as instructed, I thought I'd be smart and use a winter skull cap I already own. I will be making this hat again and will do it the right way next time. :)

Comments

  1. Rockin' hat! As if that's just a tee, maybe I should get that book... My mohawk hat was a bit of a fail, if ya happened to read that post :P Also wanted to thank you for following my blog! That makes me puff out a little bit :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Then I wanna hear it! But if it's mean or an ad that doesn't fit with my blog theme, it may not stay for long. Just sayin'. :) And sorry about the word verification. I'm just tired of spambots invading my happy place. :P

Popular posts from this blog

My Dinner Guest

I had a wonderful guest for dinner last night. His name was Henry and he was delicious! (*evil grin*) I had no idea that sculpting with meat could actually be fun! I started with 5 pounds of ground beef mixed with 4 cups of diced onion, 10 oz roasted garlic bread crumbs, 4 eggs, 1/4 cup tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I put a roasted onion inside his cranium as filler/a brain and used raw onion for his eyes and teeth. I actually kind of grossed myself out when I covered him with tomato sauce. LOL Next was a nice layer of provolone cheese slices. I ended up putting a few toothpicks in the side pieces before cooking to help hold the cheese in place over the tomato sauce. He was roasted at 350-degrees for 100 minutes. I had to hack off his chin for my piece. I *had* to.... I'm not sure what that says about me but yeah. I had to. :) I did learn a couple of things for when I make this in August. ** I need to pack the meat a lot tighter and mince the onion inste...

(*swoon*)

I just got my first order from J and O Fabric and I am in looooooove! And, I happily blame Psycho Sue of Sew Misunderstood . :) I got the last 1-3/8 yards of this. Jealous? :) I'm not sure what I am going to do with it but I am envisioning either a ruffle at the bottom of a long skirt ( like I did here ) or the bodice of a cute top. I got 3 yards of this fun fabric. Again, not entirely sure what will become of this but I fell in love with it when I saw it. :) I know this is totally not the type of thing I would typically wear but I couldn't pass it up! I have a couple of black tanks that I could use to make baby doll style shirts and this would be fun for the bottom of that. I got just 1 yard of this. I can't wait! (*wiggles excitedly*)

Opinion Needed: Matron of Honor dress

I am so excited! My little sister is getting married in October and I get to be her matron-of-honor for the wedding. :) They are having a small ceremony and she wants a Gothic feel to her wedding so she told me to just get a dress that fits that theme. Heh heh... I can do that! I originally ordered this dress from Roaman's : I thought it was pretty, simple, could easily be "gothed up" and, best of all, it was on sale AND I had a 40% coupon so I got a good deal on it. When I received it, the seams were extremely puckered and the pleating across the bodice hung in a horrible, unflattering way. And it wasn't from me not filling it out! The lining was rather snug across the boobages. So I returned it in exchange for another. The seams were better but I still had the same issue with the pleating. So I've decided to make my own. Here are my plans. :) And yes, that is indeed TV dinner paper that I wrote on. If you click here , you will see my wedding dress which uses the...