Skip to main content

What to do... besides eat chicken, fried rice and yogurt?

One of the reasons I don't post as much as I should/could is because I'm not exactly sure what I want to do with this blog.  I initially created it to show the things I was crafting, sewing, creating, etc. but my interests have shifted over to food... in case you didn't pick up on that.  Do I want to concentrate on one over the other here?  I'm not sure.  I mean, I haven't been creating as much as I would like but giving myself deadlines goals would be the push I need.  But I also spend A LOT of time in the kitchen as well as researching recipes, techniques, food industry issues, and the like.  Should I share those?  I definitely have a non-traditional household that seems to work.  Should I blog about that?  Should I do a balance of all of those?  Should I do weekly things, like pick a day where I showcase one things from all of those?  Maybe have a post a week about food, one about crafting/art, one about my life, one for anything else random?

I have read post after post from other bloggers about why and how they do their blog.  I just need to make a decision on what direction I want to go then GO!

I just don't know.  I do know that I could make this blog something wonderful, though.  I'm just too indecisive.  I blame it on being a Pisces because, you know, why take the blame? ;)

I would love feedback about this.  I really, realy would!

In the meantime, I do have 2 things to share.

1.  I made yogurt!
I picked up this little Dash Go yogurt maker via Groupon Goods for half  price and am SO glad that I did!  I have been making it every weekend and it makes exactly enough for my 5 work breakfasts plus starter for the next batch.  It's really simple, too.  Heat the milk in a double boiler to 185°, let it cool to 100°-110°, mix in 1/2 cup of room temp yogurt, put it in the machine, turn it on, wait 9-10 hours, put it in the fridge, strain and go!  It makes about 1 liter at a time.  Once I remember to get cheesecloth, I can make it into Greek yogurt but it's good just slightly drained as well.

I eat it with 1 tsp of honey and about 1/4 cup of Berry Cobbler Granola.

2. I don't care much for cilantro... (*waits for the gasps to subside*) ...nor rice... (*waits for the bigger gasps and disapproving murmurs to subside*) but I made an amazing meal the other night that contradicts both of those admissions.

First is the Sweet and Spicy Cilantro Chicken I made using a recipe I found over on Recipe Girl. I just changed the directions very slightly.


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Sweet & Spicy Cilantro Chicken
by Sarrah "Sashi" Steiner
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 25-30 min
Keywords: entree chicken cilantro Chinese
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (~2 lbs)
  • 1/4 c olive oil
  • 1/4 c jarred minced garlic, drained
  • 1 c loosely packed cilantro (~ 1/2 a bunch)
  • 3/4 c Asian sweet chili sauce (I use Taste of Asia Sweet Chili Sauce which can be found with the Asian food items in most chain grocery stores )
Instructions
Rinse and dry the chicken. Slice in half horizontally to make 6 thin pieces. Place in large resealable bag.
In mini food processor or blender, puree olive, garlic and cilantro together until as smooth as possible. Pour into the bag and seal, removing as much of the air as you can. Massage the mixture over the chicken to thoroughly coat. Refrigerate up to 24 hours, flipping and working the mixture over the chicken. If you aren't able to do this, it'll still be good!
Bake in a preheated 400* oven for 25-30 minutes or until the juices run clear. 10 minutes before the chicken is done, brush 2 Tbsp of the sweet chili sauce on each chicken piece.
Powered by Recipage

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

With it, I made a super easy veggie fried rice... without egg since one in our household doesn't do eggs.  We used broccoli, sugar snap peas, and sweet red bell pepper in ours but you could use any vegetables you like.  You can also use whatever rice you want... you just need 4 cups of it.

Click here for the recipe I used.

Not counting the marinading time for the chicken, the whole meal took just 30 minutes to cook.  And if you cut the chicken up and mix it in with the rice... well, you just may drool because the sweet and spicy of the chicken mixes really well with the salty of the rice (from the soy sauce).

Oh!  I guess I have 3 things to share!  I ground my own meat for the first time!  I got a super good deal on a pork loin at Costco so ground 6 lbs of it for my homemade bulk sausages that I make.

The one thing I learned is that I need to choose a fattier meat to grind or add fat in with it... which is very counter-intuitive to my lower-fat thinking.  The sausage (Italian and chorizo) has been on the dry side but still tastes good. :)

If you blog, how did you decide what direction to go?  Did it evolve or did you start it with a certain goal in mind?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Apron

Still alive and still cooking A LOT!  The food blog has really taken off which isn't leaving much room for much else.  I really need to get crafty some time soon. But, I did recently find some time to design myself a brand new apron! Here's a more detailed image of my design: At least I am finding ways to combine my 2 passions! :)

Digital Age and Sausage

Wow... 2014 already!  The last of 2013 went by pretty quickly, but I don't know that I have a super lot to show for it. Well, that's not entirely true.  I've been pretty busy with the new site .  I've been having so much fun cooking and I think my photography skills are definitely improving when it comes to that part of the blogging.  I have been doing some creative things as well, though, especially over the last couple of weeks.  I received some money for the holidays and decided to invest in myself by getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (the original, not the new model) for the sole purpose of drawing.  I know, I know, it's completely wasting the bells and whistles of the technology, but I did some research and decided it was the best yet economical choice for what I want to do.  And, so far, I am not disappointed. I upgraded my S Pen and it really feels like I am drawing "the old fashioned way."  Even when I sketch out my design first, it looks and

Opinion Needed: Matron of Honor dress

I am so excited! My little sister is getting married in October and I get to be her matron-of-honor for the wedding. :) They are having a small ceremony and she wants a Gothic feel to her wedding so she told me to just get a dress that fits that theme. Heh heh... I can do that! I originally ordered this dress from Roaman's : I thought it was pretty, simple, could easily be "gothed up" and, best of all, it was on sale AND I had a 40% coupon so I got a good deal on it. When I received it, the seams were extremely puckered and the pleating across the bodice hung in a horrible, unflattering way. And it wasn't from me not filling it out! The lining was rather snug across the boobages. So I returned it in exchange for another. The seams were better but I still had the same issue with the pleating. So I've decided to make my own. Here are my plans. :) And yes, that is indeed TV dinner paper that I wrote on. If you click here , you will see my wedding dress which uses the